1. What’s special about Koh Phi Phi?
Koh Phi Phi is the collective name for a small archipelago in Krabi Province just an hour boat ride from Phuket. Known as “the real paradise on the ground”, it consists of 6 main islands: Koh Phi Phi Don, Koh Phi Phi Leh, Bamboo Island (Ko Mai Phai), Mosquito Island (Koh Yung), Koh Bida Nok and Koh Bida Nai. Among them, only Phi Phi Don is inhabited, all others are still undeveloped and protected by their National Park status and are frequently visited as day trips from Phuket, Krabi, and Phi Phi Don.
This cluster of islands is considered to have some of the cleanest beaches in the world and its stunning, crystal-clear water, relaxing beaches attract a lot of tourists every year. Interestingly, Phi Phi Ley was featured in the Hollywood blockbuster movie The Beach, with the presence of Leonardo Di Carpio. Hence, if you are looking for a place with fascinating blue water or somewhere to walk along with green palm trees, Koh Phi Phi is a good choice.
2. What to do in Koh Phi Phi islands?
Koh Phi Phi features towering limestone cliffs that shelter white, sandy beaches and spectacular, aquamarine bays filled with exotic marine life. As one of the premier island destinations in Thailand, this small archipelago offers both five-star resorts and budget beach bungalows; and both raucous nightlife and secluded isolation, depending on which beach you choose to stay at. No where in Thailand, perhaps the world, are there so many opportunities for visitors to find exactly the right beach holiday they are looking for within a setting of such spectacular natural beauty. Whether you enjoy scuba diving, snorkeling, or simply relaxing in a hammock, Koh Phi Phi has a beach that will exceed your wildest dreams.
There are plenty of activities available and beautiful views awaiting you at this island group, some can be mentioned:
- Visiting the Viking Cave in Koh Phi Phi Leh.
- Snorkeling, scuba diving in Bamboo Island.
- Shark watching tour in Koh Phi Phi Don.
- Rock climbing.
- Joining the Pum’s Thai Cooking School.
There are several ways to get to Koh Phi Phi and your choice of transport greatly depends on varied factors . As this archipelago is perfect for visiting with Bangkok or Phuket, we’re going to suggest some good options for visitors to travel to Phi Phi from these 2 popular cities.
3. How to get to Koh Phi Phi islands from Bangkok?
Koh Phi Phi is is about 40km from the main land. You can either take the bus, train, flight or ferry to travel from Bangkok to Koh Phi Phi.
#1: Bangkok – Surat Thani – Krabi – Koh Phi Phi
Bangkok – Surat Thani
- By Bus: At Southern Terminal or Ratchadamnoen, Bangkok, there are many buses to reach Surat Thani with price starting from 502 baht each person.
- By Train: From Hua Lam Phong, the train runs at different times in a day and the services are diverse with price ranges from 758 Bath.
Surat Thani – Krabi
- By bus: Take a bus from Surat Thani Station and you will get to Krabi in 2 hours with 250 Baht.
Krabi – Koh Phi Phi
- By ferries: the best choice is you traveling by ferry from Railway West in Krabi, which takes you less than 2 hours to set foot in Koh Phi Phi. The ferry price is 450 Baht for adults and 350 Baht for children. In case you want to get there from Krabi airport, take a taxi to Klong Jilard Pier in Krabi and then get on a ferry to Ton Sai Pier, Koh Phi Phi.
#2: Bangkok – Krabi – Koh Phi Phi
To get to Phi Phi island from Bangkok, there is another way that you book a flight from Bangkok to Krabi and then travel by ferry from Krabi to Koh Phi Phi
Bangkok – Krabi
- By plane: This is the fastest and most comfortable way to get to Krabi. There are about 10 flights a day at your preferable time and you can choose either to fly from Don Mueang Airport or Suvarnabhumi Airport. The price starting from 1000 baht for one-way direct flight. Here are some airlines you can choose from: Bangkok Air, Nok Air, Thai Airways, Thai Lion Air, Thai Smile.
Krabi Airport – Krabi town
- By taxi: it costs 700 Baht to travel to Krabi town in 1 hour.
Krabi town – Koh Phi Phi
Same as above. Below is the Krabi – Koh Phi Phi Ferry schedule for your reference.
#3: Bangkok – Phuket – Koh Phi Phi
Bangkok – Phuket
- By bus: A cheap way is to take a bus from Southern Terminal, Bangkok to Phuket Terminal 2. If you want to save money (the bus price from Bangkok to Phuket is 643 Baht) and enjoy traveling long distance, this 12-hour travel might be a good choice for you.
- By plane: If you want to find the fastest way, book a flight and you will get to Phuket Airport in just half an hour. The price for a one-way ticket is about 900 Baht.
- By taxi: The amount of time traveling by taxi will be the same as traveling by bus: 12 hours, and costs about 13,000 Baht. It is not really time-saving or cheap at all, but it is comfortable for those who don’t like getting on a crowded bus or afraid of height.
Phuket – Koh Phi Phi islands
The only way to Koh Phi Phi island is by ferry. We’re going to address it in the following section.
4. How to get to Phi Phi island from Phuket?
- By ferry: From Phuket Airport, take a taxi to Rassada Pier Phuket (about 1000 Baht) and then head to Phi Phi island by ferry, which costs about 900 Baht for adults and 630 Baht for children. This is the only way to get to Koh Phi Phi from Phuket. Below is Phuket – Phi Phi Ferry schedule:
Generally, it is pretty easy to move to Koh Phi Phi archipelago from Phuket, whether you go alone, with friends or family, unlike getting to there from Bangkok. You might go for the latter with more stops for chances of exploring many spots during the trip, which is a good option for groups of friends. However, if you have your family with you, booking a flight to Kabi or Phuket before getting to Koh Phi Phi by ferry is the greatest and fastest choice as it can avoid the inconvenience of elders and children having to move from different transportations to another too many times.
Hope this article can help you make a wise decision and have a wonderful holiday in Koh Phi Phi ~