1. Introduce IconSiam
- Location: 299 Soi Charoen Nakhon 5, Charoen Nakhon Road, Khlong Ton Sai, Khlong San, 10600, Bangkok
- Opening hours: daily, 10 a.m – 10 p.m
- Opened on the 9th November 2018, IconSiam shopping mall becomes “Mother of All Malls” in Thailand. This mall does challenge the already malls and shopping centers presented in downtown Bangkok. Situated along the bank of Chao Phraya River with an area of 80,000 sqm, it’s not surprising that this brand new shopping mall attracts thousands of tourists coming for shopping and sight-seeing every day. Developed by the same tycoons behind Siam Paragon together with two other reputable businesses, IconSiam features many more luxurious and cool brands from all over the world, creating a wider range of shopping choices for customers. People can also enjoy different experiences with numerous exhibitions and beautiful view locations over the city.
2. How to get to IconSiam shopping mall
Overlooking the beautiful Chao Phraya river, IconSiam location is quite unique in compared to other shopping malls in Bangkok. Here are some common ways to travel to this fancy mega mall:
#1: By free shuttle boats (recommended)
Take a BTS Skytrain to Saphan Taksin BTS Station -> walk to Sathorn Pier (Central Pier) -> go out from Exit 2 and walk downstairs -> turn left towards ‘Boat Express’ and walk about 2 mins to IconSiam Shuttle Boat boarding point -> from here you have to queue in line for the free shuttle boat to the mall (remember to walk through the red gate which is the entry to the real free shuttle boats of both IconSiam and Asiatique River Front, otherwise you may mistakenly go into the boat express area where you have to pay for a boat to IconSiam). From Sathorn pier, it will just take 5 mins of sitting on a boat to reach Icon.
The operating hours of this free shuttle boat is from 9am to 11:30pm (ten-minute intervals)
Note: You can also go to other piers to take a free shuttle boat to IconSiam such as Wat Muang Khae Pier (CAT Building Pier), Ratchawong Pier or Si Phraya Pier. However, it’s more convenient to walk to Sathorn Pier because it locates near the Saphan Taksin BTS Station most.
#2: By tourist boats
This kind of boat has a blue flag and stops at 10 piers as in below image along the Chao Phraya river, one of which is the IconSiam pier. As mention before, from the city center you can take a BTS train to the Saphan Taksin BTS Station then go straight to the boat express and hop on one tourist boat (remember it must have a blue flag). Even though it costs you a bit more of money, the wait time is shorter than free shuttle boat (as there’re more boats) and you may have a chance to enjoy the wonderful sights along the Chao Phraya if you starts at Phra Arthit or Thonburi Railyway piers.
There are several price options for this hop-on-hop-off boat (updated 2019)
- Single-journey ticket: 50 bath (valid of one hop-off only, you have to buy a ticket if you want to hop back on).
- One-day river pass: 200 bath (unlimited hopping within business hours: 9am-5:30pm)
- One-night river pass: 200 bath (operating hours: 3pm-8:30pm)
- All day all night pass: 300 bath (operating hours 9pm-8:30pm)
We recommend you buy tickets online on Chao Phraya tourist boat’s official website (except for the single-journey ticket) as there’s often special discounts like buy 4 for the price of 3 and so on.
#3: By hotel boat service
When you’re looking for a hotel to stay in Siam Bangkok which provides full service including transportation, check these ones out. They offer their guests free shuttle bus service to IconSiam, which would be very convenient.
- Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel
- The Peninsula Bangkok
- Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel
- Ramada Plaza Bangkok Maenam Riverside
#4: By free shuttle bus (recommended)
- Take the BTS to Krung Thonburi BTS Station -> go out from Exit 1 -> take a free shuttle bus to IconSiam ((The shuttle bus runs every 10 mins from 8 a.m to 12 a.m).
- Take the BTS to Wongwian Yai BTS Station -> take the free shuttle bus there (The shuttle bus runs every 30 mins from 9:30 am to 10 pm).
#5: By regular bus
Wait at the bus stop and take one of these buses: 3, 6, 57, 84, 88, 89, 105, 111, 120, 149, 177. Ask them to drive you to IconSiam.
#6: By taxi
If you don’t really want to spend a long time waiting and traveling on the river, choose a taxi. You can also book a Grab ride there to IconSiam to reduce the time being on the way. However, make sure to catch a metered taxi or negotiate the price with the driver before getting in.
In the future, there will be a more convenient way for you to get there: the Golden Rail monorail, which has been under construction.
3. What is inside IconSiam Shopping Mall?
This mall is not only famous for its astounding architect but also for the marvelous space inside with tons and tons of shops and wonderful places. From fashion brands, food labels to homeware and technology shops, IconSiam shopping mall has everything you need.
Let’s go inside the newest shopping mall in Bangkok to see what it has:
#1: Fashions & Cosmetics
- This mega mall is especially for fashionaholic. Fashion stores take up 3 first floor in the mall. Guests can easily find a great number of high-quality brands as well as casual brands there. Moreover, both the international and national stores are designed with Thai decorations like lotus flower or patterns on the traditional windows.
- High-end fashion is available at the Icon Luxe section on level 1. Products are from Hermès, Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton, Versace, Bvlgari, Cartier, Salvatore Ferragamo, Alexander McQueen, Patek Philippe and many other luxury brands all over the world. Especially, IconSiam has the largest adidas originals store in Southeast Asia and Pacific Region and a first Nike kicks lounge in Southeast Asia.
- Casual brands include H&M, Uniqlo, ZARA, Bath & Body Work, etc. Most of them are exclusive boutiques from popular companies worldwide.
- All famous cosmetics stores can be found here: Innisfree, Etude house, Estee Launder, Sephora, Nars, NYX…
#2: The First Official Apple Store in Thailand
Apple Store is definitely the light and signature of IconSiam. This is the first store in Thailand of the huge US company and is nationally exclusive to IconSiam. The store features a two-story-high glass window which connects to an outdoor roof terrace with sweeping views over Bangkok’s BTS and the Chao Phraya River. At the store, customers can buy Apple’s full-line products such as iPhone XR, iPhone XS, Apple watch series 4 and many latest versions of Apple device. You can also attend “Today at Apple” training sessions hosted by Apple’s geniuses.
Check our review on the first official Apple Store in IconSiam Bangkok.
#3: Food Paradise
This mega-mall is definitely one of the best places in Thailand for people who are into Thai cuisine and many international cuisines such as Japanese and Italian. The food paradise of IconSiam offers guests Michelin-star restaurants together with Thai street vendors, food court and food from other places in the world. The huge area consists of 7 big parts: SookSiam, Veranda, ICON Eats, Siam Takashimaya, ICON Dining Rooms, Alangkarn, and TasanaNakorn Terrace Bar.
- SookSiam: If you really want to experience once in the floating markets in Bangkok but you don’t have enough time to go there, SookSiam will be the perfect solution. This is a ground floor floating market which aims at promoting knowledge-based society and creates a trading stage for local entrepreneurs from 77 provinces over Thailand. You can easily find handicrafts, street food, beverages, services which totally made with passion and skills of Thai locals. A ground with so many colorful designed boats is also an ideal background for guests to take some great photos!
- Siam Takashimaya: The Japanese department store which is famous for the sculpture of an elephant on the ground floor of Siam Takashimaya is one of the favorite areas in IconSiam. Customers seem to step into a real Japanese food paradise with a troop of leading Japanese restaurants. On the ground floor, you can give a taste of sushi, grilled fish and ramen. On the UG floor, all the tasty desserts from fine restaurants and bakery throughout Japan will satisfy everyone’s sweet tooth. On the 4th floor, guests are welcomed to a high-end dining zone called Rose Dining where your family can have high-quality dinner together.
- The Veranda: Another high-end dining experience is Veranda, where hot chefs from all over Asia have been brought together in just one place. This dining area is located on the G floor of ICONLUXE, consisting of 1 food shops and 8 sweet shops from all over the world. With extraordinary designs, Veranda is not just a place to eat but a destination to enjoy ourselves, too.
- TasanaNakorn Terrace Bar: This 2000 sqm sky-view restaurant and bar zone will definitely give you brand new experience at IconSiam shopping mall. Situated on the 6th floor, that’s home of top famous semi-outdoor restaurants and bars such as Hobs and Fallabella.
#4: Indoor Floating Market
Standing out among all the glamorous stores inside this giant mall is a unique and traditional aspect of Bangkok: the indoor floating market. It aims to promote Thailand’s cuisine from 77 provinces on top of the arts and culture of their vibrant and dynamic country.
#5: Outdoor River Park
Don’t just wander inside IconSiam, let step out to meet a wide riverside public space, named as River Park, to admire the picturesque views of the Chao Phraya River and catch the water shows at the massive water fountain. Said to be the longest fountain in Southeast Asia, it stretches over 400 meters along the river and projects a number of 3D and 4D water shapes.
- Icon Cineconic: Cineconic stands for Cinema and Iconic, so actually this area is IconSiam’s cinema. There are 14 different screen options for both kids and adults which are new luxury screes and kids-specializing screen. Customers can even have a choice in the Cineconic Living Theater which is said to create a feeling like in the living room.
- Car brands: There are plenty of top car brands in this shopping mall including Porsche, BMW, Rolls-Royce, Maserati, Mini, and Toyota. Otherwise, for the first time in Asia. BMW brand will showcase its cars using a virtual reality set that lets you spec your dream car and even climb inside.
- Kid’s venue and Women’s club offer a large variety of service and activities for each member of the family.
- After a long day shopping and playing, guests are available to take some exercises at the fitness center to keep fit and healthy.
- Many more shops and gallery are going to be opened in 2019 including food stores, retail shops, and a River Museum.
Tips: ask for the mall directory at the information center first as this mall is super huge, or you can go to Icon Siam’s official website to get an overview about what is available there. Also, save the floor directory image below as you will need it!
Overall, it can’t be denied that IconSiam has everything we need, from eating, shopping for houseware, groceries, technology or fashion to working out and family gathering. Honestly once I stepped into IconSiam building, I didn’t want to leave anymore as everything inside really amazed me 😀 Hence, please make sure you don’t miss this giant and astounding shopping mall during your trip to Bangkok.